December 19, 2011

Lesson #89: Chivalry isn't dead!

So being the week before Christmas, all the shopping centers are nuts. Today I ventured to Walmart to buy some last minute stuff to finish my Christmas gifts. Every check out line had at least three people in it, so I knew I would have to wait wherever I went. I didn't get a basket because, well, I didn't think I would need one. I had this wooden sign that I bought for my grandparents that's about the size of a movie poster, and 5 small bottles of paint, some wooden craft items, my wallet, phone, keys, and paintbrushes all sitting/rolling/sliding around on the wooden sign as I was trying to get money from my wallet. The elderly man in front of me, who had much less than I did in his basket, asked if I wanted to get in front of him. I kindly declined his offer, because, well, I wasn't in much of a hurry and he had very few items. After he emptied the items from his basket onto the counter, he asked if I wanted to set my things down in the basket until there was room. This time I accepted his offer, seeing as there was no way I was going to get my money out of my wallet while holding everything. While trying to put everything down, the bottles of paint fell onto the floor. The man was slow bending down, but he picked up all of the bottles and set them in the basket and smiled. I thanked him and he went on to pay for his things. As he was walking away, he said, "Merry Christmas, Sweetheart!" and I replied "Merry Christmas, sir!"

And a very, merry Christmas it is. Small acts of kindness are really what matter in this season of giving. Sure, we love presents and family get-togethers, but isn't Christmas about sharing the love? A small act of kindness can be the one thing that gets somebody through the rest of the day. And if somebody declines it, well, try again! Eventually they'll give in a put their things in the basket (metaphorically speaking). Chivalry is still alive! All it takes is one small action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment